1.08.2015

dead of winter



Happy New Year, everyone! I hope your holidays were great. Realizing I didn't make record of our holidays here just now is making me melancholy. I miss those days.

But there's news now. I've been toiling away curating my very first art show. It is called Dead of Winter, and it is a show I am deeply proud of and vey excited about. It runs from January 7 to February 4, 2015 at Rare Device here in San Francisco. It features ten wonderful artists (including yours truly), and in a nutshell, the show explores botany in winter. The work I have received from all of the artists is beyond my wildest expectations. Such diverse media and diverse interpretations of the theme. You can read about all ten artists on the Rare Device blog here.

Hanging the show was such a great experience. I just barely fit all of us on the gallery walls, but I think it looks amazing. AMAZING!

Oliver hung out all day with me while I hung the art, and then again the next day
when I labeled each piece. He is such a great, incredibly patient little guy.

Of course there is one snag. My piece isn't done. I've been waiting for so long for an excuse to work on a decomposing flower head. It's why I asked Giselle at Rare Device if I could do this show! The study of how the head of a flower starts to fall apart is fascinating, and as I remarked on Instagram the other day, I have to check myself each day to be sure I am letting the flower die. I think I'm happy with the results, but I have a few more hours to go tonight before I die of exhaustion, so we'll see what happens. I really want to put it on the wall tomorrow and get some sleep before the opening.

Speaking of the opening, please join us this Friday night, January 9, 2015 from 6-8:00 p.m. at the Rare Device gallery (600 Divisadero at Hayes) for the opening reception. I would love to see you there!

Here's a sneak peek at my piece, entitled "For Shame". And if you are using Instagram, the hashtag for the process work for the show is #deadofwinterRD.








1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...