11.08.2012

a tequila drink for fall



Sunday night Stella and I did something she's always wanted to do. We played Iron Chef with real food in our real kitchen. There were knives and peelers and boiling liquids involved. The secret ingredient was hot pepper, and we used only what we had in the kitchen already. I baked Anaheim peppers stuffed with hamburger and manchego wrapped in turkey bacon, and made a soup with dashi, leftover brown rice and bok choy, served with a splash of Sriracha. Stella made a crazy concoction consisting of potatoes she chopped herself cooked with chiles, orange marmalade, chicken broth, cream and Sriracha, served on toast and topped with cheese. Sounds terrible, but David and I ate ours with gusto, it was good! She also served a kale salad with olives and a balsamic vinaigrette thick with mixed dried herbs. 

Where she really scored was the drink, though. We've enjoyed several of these since they were first created Sunday night. Stella calls it The Apple Crisp. I think seeing David drink all that sangrita with tequila made an impression on her.

...............
The Apple Crisp

One part tequila
One part cold spiced apple cider
A shot glass with a salted rim

Prepare and sip.
...............

So easy even a kid could make one. It's actually close to one of these, but simpler.

By the way, I left the one in the photo in the freezer all day and enjoyed my delightfully slushy drink with roasted root veggies, arugula and fried eggs tonight at dinner. Civilized!










4 comments:

  1. Oh man, that sounds too good. I wonder if I could rock that with bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could, Dottie! What'll we call that?

      Delete
  2. Wow! I think I just found the perfect drink for the next holiday party! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Hey, you have a blog! I'm going to go check it out right now. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...